We truly believe that the men and women who answered our nation’s call embody the ideals Americans hold so dear. Because they have proven their devotion to their fellow citizens and to a grateful nation, we all owe them the same respect and devotion in return.
At Schnauss North East Florida Funeral Home and Cremation Services, qualified staff is experienced in handling all of the details involved with burial and cremation arrangements for Veterans and their families. We provide services to all branches of military service including: Army, Army Reserve, Army National Guard, Marine Corps, Marine Corps Reserves, Navy, Navy Reserves, Air Force, Air Force Reserves, Air National Guard, Coast Guard, and Coast Guard Reserves.
Please call us today to find out how we can help Veterans and their spouses discover the many benefits provided to them for their service to our great Nation.
Why Do More Families Trust Us to Care for their Veteran?
We are known for our compassionate, caring and thoroughly professional staff, and have years of experience in planning military services. Whether your family chooses cremation or burial, we will be proud to take care of all the details involved.
We are Proud to Honor Those Who Served
Without a doubt, our professional staff feels pride when we are able to care for a veteran and their family. It is our way of expressing gratitude for their service to the country.
We are committed to taking care of all the details involved in providing the veteran in your life with deeply meaningful and honoring ceremonies. Schnauss North East Florida Funeral Home and Cremation Services can:
- Complete applications for all veterans’ benefits, including Military Honors, Presidential Memorial Certificate and veteran memorial marker or headstone
- Confirm and coordinate any existing paid pre-plan funding benefits which may cover any expenses deemed ineligible by the Veterans Administration
- Coordinate necessary documentation provided by family to request honors
- Coordinate with national or state veterans’ cemeteries
You will receive:
- The professional services of Funeral Director and support staff
- Transfer the deceased and professional care
- Cremation services
- Use of our mortuary facilities and staff for a visitation or gathering
- A funeral or memorial ceremony
- Use of automotive equipment
- Online interactive memorial website
- Additional personalization options, including specialized engraving, a moving tribute video
To learn more about how we can serve you, give us a call. We will be honored to speak with you.
Who is Eligible?
In short, the veteran must have been honorably discharged. A more detailed list of those service men and women who may apply for, and receive veterans' burial benefits, with full military honors if they choose would include:
- Military members on active duty or in the Selected Reserve
- Former military members who served on active duty and departed under conditions other than dishonorable
- Former military members who completed at least one term of enlistment or period of initial obligated service in the Selected Reserve and departed under conditions other than dishonorable
- Former military members discharged from the Selected Reserve due to a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty.
If you have any questions about your eligibility, or that of a family member, call us at (904) 683-9288. If you have any questions about your eligibility or that of a family member, contact the staff of one of our locations or send us an email using our contact form.
Anyone who served in the U.S. Armed Forces and died either during active duty or after he or she was honorably discharged is eligible for military funeral honors and benefits.
A Qualifying Veteran will receive:
1.) A gravesite or columbarium niche at no charge in any VA national cemetery with available space.
2.) In the case of a casketed ground burial, this includes opening and closing the gravesite, a graveliner, and a gravemarker.
3.) Those selecting cremation and inurnment in a columbarium niche will receive a niche cover, which is available in bronze, granite or marble.
4.) Qualifying veterans will also receive a U.S. flag, regardless of their final disposition choice. This will either drape the casket during the funeral service, and until the burial, or accompany the cremation urn during the funeral or memorial service. At the conclusion of the service, the folded flag will be presented to the veteran's next-of-kin or a designated recipient.
5.) The surviving loved ones of a qualifying veteran may also request a Presidential Memorial Certificate.
6.) Finally, every eligible veteran may receive a military funeral honors ceremony. This entails a minimum of two uniformed military personnel -- with at least one of them representing the deceased veteran's branch of the military -- playing "Taps" and folding/presenting the U.S. flag to the next-of-kin or a designated recipient.
Preparing in Advance
Schnauss North East Florida Funeral Home and Cremation Services is happy to sit down with you to discuss setting up a pre-need to pre-plan and prepay for your funeral. Please call us 24 hours a day at (904) 396-1611.
You should advise your family of your wishes and where your discharge papers are kept. These papers are very important in establishing your eligibility.